23 Aug 2010

If I had money - would I work?

Big, fat NO!

Whenever you discuss the idea of getting wealthy enough that you wouldn't have to work - some people say that they would still work. You are getting an extra 40 hours (or more if you count commuting time) per week to spend on doing whatever takes your fancy - and you're going back to the office?

Personally I would start by having a few months off. After close to three decades of having to get up every morning to go to school / work - I would love to live off the clock for a while. I'm sure that moseying around the house would get a bit less shiny eventually, but there are so many things one could spend time on.

Healthy stuff like going to the gym 3 times per week and cooking food from scratch - I'm sure these kinds of things would feel much less of a chore if you weren't trying to fit them in around work.

Courses - horse riding, Italian, archery, fencing, psychology, sewing - all those interesting things that it is difficult to find the time for.

And I would definitely sign up with a local amateur musical theatre group. At the moment I am wary of the time commitment needed for this. I did a lot of amateur theatre at university, so I know the amount of time required to get a performance to happen. You might start with only one evening of rehearsals per week, but as the opening night gets closer another night gets added and some weekend workshops. And you might need to help out with work on the sets or costumes, depending on how many off stage people are involved. To fit that around work and other hobbies can be tricky. But if you are not working it is easy. :-)

1 comment:

  1. 100% agree. No way I am going to work if I don't have to. We can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete