2 Aug 2010

Moar gadgets or How I learned to love Apple

So the work purchase of iPads fell through. There aren't that many of us and some people didn't want one. *boggle*

Not that I would buy one, but if someone wants to give you a new, shiny gadget to use - there is only one answer. Surely?

With my singing lessons I've gotten back into listening to music so I decided it might be time to invest in one of them new-fangled empeethree majiggies. Now I am not an Apple fan (it all comes back to a very traumatic experience with an Apple laptop in university - it frowned at me. Long story.), but looking around iPods are kind of the standard fare when it comes to mp3-players. They may or may not be the best, but they seem to be the standard others are judged against. This feature on this player is better than the iPod, that feature on that player is not as good as the iPod. There are a lot of players out there and as a first-time buyer it is a bit of a jungle, so I ended up deciding to just get an iPod and be done with it. My husband used to have an iPod Nano and he was very happy with it and the audio quality. Seeing as he is very sensitive to audio quality and I'm not - that was good enough for me.

So off we went to the Apple store to buy a pair of iPod Touches. Out we came with iPods, bits of plastic to protect the screens, colourful back protectors and headphones (I hate in-ear headphones). After assembling them and having a play for a whole minute or two, we were both completely in love. The interface is so intuitive, what with the scrolling up and down, side to side and the resizing by moving your fingers together or outwards. The responsiveness of the touchscreen is spot on. There may very well be products out there that are better, but I love my iPod Touch to bits already.

And that is before even using it for what I bought it for - to play music...

Today I spent part of my commute watching an episode of a TV show on it and I was seriously impressed. I've always thought that watching something on such a small screen would be a bit pointless, but I was wrong. The quality was great, the picture was really sharp and I got completely sucked in - it came as a bit of a surprise when the train pulled into the station.

Loving it, would recommend it and I will probably get an iPhone when it comes time to replace my current mobile. Yes, I like it that much.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah, welcome to the cult! I *love* my iPod Touch, it has become indispensible. And I have to confess that I have a totally brand new iPad in the process of syncing for the very first time right now, lucky me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be really interested to know how you get on with it.

    I'm a bit dubious as to how useful the iPad would be as it is not small enough to easily fit in a pocket/handbag, but neither is it (from what I understand) as powerful as a laptop.

    Keep me posted? :-)

    ReplyDelete