18 Aug 2010

There is yet time

Turning 30 passed me by without a hitch. We were busy buying our first house together and I'd recently changed jobs, so there was lots of things happening. Then the year after came the proposal and the wedding planning started for the year after that. However, things have been kind of slow since then and that was the main thing that hit me as I was about to turn 35.

I am boring!!

I used to always be so busy, doing this, that and the other. But when you work full time (at least in London) it is so easy to allow yourself to not do a lot. You get up in the morning, do your 1 hour commute, work, commute home for 1 hour, stick in a wash, have some dinner and then there's not an awful lot left of the evening. On the weekend you have to do all those chores that cannot be done during evenings - more washing, cleaning the house, shopping, mowing the lawn etc etc

And that's of course why WoW fits in so perfectly as a hobby. You play from your house, so no travelling to and from other places in the evening. It can take up as much or as little time as you want it to. I'm not saying WoW is a bad hobby, in spite of the end of expansion blues I still have a huge bucket list I aim to get through before Azeroth gets terra-formed by the coming Cataclysm.

But there are so many other things that I keep thinking I'd like to do, that I never get around to. Taking a course in something, writing, visiting the Fringe - once I started thinking about it the list kept growing.

There are lots of very good excuses for not doing these things, but they are just that - excuses.

Starting singing lessons was a great first step. Yes, with my slightly wonky work schedule it will require some planning to make it work. But in return I get to do something I really, really enjoy AND it gives me buzzy energy that makes me want to do more things.

Of course there is a limit to how much I can actually fit in. With working full time, commuting and doing all that boring adult stuff, I cannot be out and about most evenings of a week as I will then feel over stretched and exhausted. So I will keep my singing lessons, I will try to write something each week and once that is part of my routine I might consider adding one more thing to the mix.

Because, you know what, there is yet time - I don't have to do it all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment